Just How Important are Carb Caps?
by Corey Majeske on Dec 10, 2021
The dabbing market is in a really exciting phase where hardware brands are constantly coming up with new and exciting accessories and other products that greatly enhance our dabbing experience. Amidst all of the accessories available that can be added to a basic rig setup, one that can make the biggest difference is a carb cap. Carb caps have been around long enough now to prove that they’re not just some trend, but a truly valuable piece of equipment that many dabbers will tell you is not only helpful, but absolutely essential. Anyone who has never dabbed with a carb cap before, you really don’t know what you’re missing.
What’s a Carb Cap Anyway?
A carb cap is an accessory designed specifically for dabbing with a dab rig. It either covers or is placed directly next to the dab nail, where concentrates are laid before being vaporized at high temperatures. A carb cap works similarly to the carburetor you’d find in a standard pipe or bong. Its job is to restrict airflow in a way that’s easy to control by the user.
- Carb caps serve the purpose of preventing the concentrate from burning too quickly, as restricted airflow controls the rate of burning. This provides smoother inhales of vapor that are easier on the throat, while also promoting better, richer and cleaner flavor.
- Carb caps give users the chance to basically adjust the power of each hit by allowing for precise management over how much heat escapes during each puff that is fired.
- Carb Caps trap heat to allow dabs to be heated through a more convection-like process that distributes heat evenly.
By controlling the flow and pressure of air with a carb cap, the user is effectively reducing the boiling point of their concentrates, which can also work to enhance the potency of every puff.
What are the Different Kinds of Carb Cap Materials?
Not all carb caps are created equally. In this instance, carb caps are usually made from one of three types of materials, which can be selected based on user preference. Each has advantages and drawbacks.
Quart Carb Caps
- Most popular choice out there.
- They do not negatively impact flavor.
- Have a nonporous surface for easy cleaning.
- Can handle extremely high heat like a champ.
- Some are more expensive than others.
- Need to find the right size for it to be very effective.
Ceramic Carb Caps
- Associated with the best flavor because the material does not interfere with flavor molecules in any way.
- The material itself is heat-resistant material,
- Extremely fragile (cracking, chipping, or shattering this kind is quite easy).
Titanium Carb Caps
- Titanium is one of the most durable materials in the world, so you don’t have to worry about what’s going to happen if you drop a titanium carb cap.
- These can last for a lifetime.
- Can produce a mild metallic taste that gets in the way of those delicious terpenes.
Carb Cap Styles
Carb caps really do add a lot to your dabbing experience. They offer loads of advantages to the point of basically being deemed essential nowadays. With that said, not all carb caps follow the same design, so when buying one, you’ll want to know what each design has to offer ahead of time in order to make the best choice for your preferences.
Bubble Carb Caps
- Very popular due to being compatible with bucket bangers, which are becoming preferable over standard nails.
- Made for flat top bangers- most popular and most readily available banger design.
- Let you change the directional flow with a simple ball-and-socket joint.
- Particularly good for low-temp dabbing, because they can offer more flavor and potency when dabbing at a low temperature but are compatible with any temperature range.
Hollow Carb Caps
- Specifically compatible with domeless nail designs, and nails that have an uneven surface.
- They have an elongated stem that allows you to easily position the carb cap without burning your fingers due to close proximity to the hot nail.
- Can fit over basically any nail.
Universal Titanium Carb Caps
- These are universally compatible with any nail, as well as most banger designs including flat tops and troughs.
- Help keep the heat in for anyone who enjoys larger dabs.
- Designed to make it easy to adjust directional airflow.
Flat/Solid Carb Caps
- Basic carb cap designs that are compatible with most nails and bangers.
- Can double as dab tools that let you readjust where your concentrations are positioned on your nail or in your banger.
- Great at creating a seal, making them particularly awesome for low-temp dabbers who want more flavor and potency.
Directional Flow Carb Caps
- Specially made for flat top bangers.
- Have a simple lid design that has an angled tube which can be rotated as desired to change the airflow direction.
- You can really maximize every dab hit by getting all of the flavor and vapor out of each morsel of concentrate.
Bottom Line: Consider the various types of carb caps that are out there today and choose one that satisfies your dabbing needs to start enhancing those daily dab sessions.