The Art of Using a Quartz Banger
by Corey Majeske on Dec 10, 2021
Nowadays, more dabbing hobbyists are upgrading their rigs to incorporate quartz bangers. Bangers in general offer a lot of advantages over standard nails, allowing for more even heat distribution, smoother vapor and cleaner-tasting dab hits. And, of all of the different kinds of bangers on the market, quartz reigns supreme thanks to its resilience to heat, its superb durability, and ability to deliver flawless flavor time and time again. If you do end up purchasing a quartz banger, you’ll want to know the basics about how to use it, since there are some new steps involved to complete the dabbing process.
The Importance of Seasoning
The first thing you’ll need to do with your quartz banger, before you can actually start dabbing, is season it. The process of seasoning is not unique to bangers – it’s recommended for cast iron pans, for instance. The concept is simple: you follow a series of simple steps to prime the banger’s surface so that it’s coated in a thin layer of concentrate oil, which protects your dabs and their flavor later on, while also ridding the surface of any residue it’s accumulated while sitting in a warehouse.
- Attach your banger to your rig’s joint.
- Next, heat it using your torch, like you were about to take a dab. The first time you heat it, you won’t get that vibrant glow that comes later on, because that glow is the result of oils reaching a high temperature, and there is no buildup of oil on your banger as of yet.
- Now, let your banger cool, and put a small amount of concentrate or reclaim in the banger.
- Heat it again to about 600 degrees and let it fully cool.
- Once it’s cooled down, you will then have a fully seasoned banger.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Dabbing with Your Quartz Banger
Now that your banger is fully primed and seasoned, we can get to the fun part. Follow these steps carefully to enjoy your concentrates to the fullest.
Step #1: Using either your butane torch or an e-nail, heat your banger to the desired temperature, which is usually somewhere between 500 and 700 degrees.
- With a torch, you will likely reach this temp somewhere between 30 and 45 seconds.
- Using an e-nail, just wait for the device to inform you that the desired temp has been reached.
Step #2: Wait 30 to 45 seconds for the banger to cool. This is where an infrared thermometer comes in handy – it can read the temperature of your banger so that you don’t have to guess whether or not it’s cooled properly. Another good way to identify whether or not your banger is at the right temperature would be:
- If the concentrate’s oils pool up in the banger, it’s too cool.
- If you get a burnt flavor, you didn’t wait long enough for the banger to cool down.
Step #3: Now, you can grab your dab tool and transfer your dabs to your banger.
- Make sure the dabs are sitting in the base of the banger, because you don’t want them building up on the walls and turning into sticky gunk rather than vaporizing.
- Make sure you don’t fill the banger to the top or pack it in tightly, or else you’ll get no airflow and therefore a lack of vapor production.
Step #4: If you have a carb cap, place it on the banger before you go in for your hit. This will trap the heat so that you get fuller flavor and thicker vapor.
Step #5: Finally take your first hit with your brand new quartz banger. If you are not happy with the quality of the flavor, vapor production, potency, or smoothness, consider adjusting to a different temperature next time.
Taking Care of Your Quartz Banger
One very important aspect of owning a quartz banger is taking care of it. Quartz is a highly durable material, so the good news is that it doesn’t require a lot of extra care to make it last. But, it does need to be cleaned regularly, or else you will start to get an unpleasant flavor as old dab residue starts coating the banger with a film of gunk.
The good news is cleaning a quartz banger is quite easy:
- Once a week, soak your banger in a mixture of water, salt, and isopropyl alcohol for at least 30 minutes, but preferably a couple of hours.
- Then, wipe it down with a non-abrasive material and rinse it clean. This will allow your banger to look brand new again, while keeping the flavor of your dabs nice and clean as well.
Quartz Bangers: Easy to Use and Well Worth the Investment
Overall, switching to a quartz banger offers an exceptionally smooth and flavorful dabbing experience, while being very easy to use. Still, your quartz banger is only going to satisfy if you use it properly and take care of it with regular cleanings. Again, make sure to maintain the device properly on a weekly basis, and follow proper dabbing protocol to keep enjoying your favorite concentrates. As long as the quartz banger is maintained and used properly, a quartz banger can very well last a lifetime.